The publishing world has changed considerably over the last years, and self publishing (also known as indie publishing) is on the rise. Many indie authors are earning a good income from selling their self published books online, in Kindle format, paperback, or even audio book.
There are several publishing platforms, and the best known one is probably Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (Amazon KDP). I know many authors who use their services, and I have also used them. So, in this review I will give you my honest thoughts on Amazon KDP, the pros and the cons, my experience, and testimonies from other authors.
Amazon KDP Review
Name: Amazon KDP
Overall Rank: 9/10
The Good And the Bad
Let’s list the pros and cons here.
Disclaimer: While I am affiliated with Amazon, I am not affiliated with Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing, and although I use their services I do not get any credit or commission for this review. So, you can be assured that this review will be unbiased and honest. Only products that are shown here will earn me a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you decide to purchase that product. This helps me maintain my website.
– PRO #1: Amazon KDP is easy to use. Publishing your manuscript is done in three steps.
- First, you fill in the info of the book, such as author name, book title, genre, categories, keywords, etc.
- Then you are asked to upload your manuscript and book cover.
- Finally, you are prompted to add more info about pricing, whether you want to add your book to Kindle Unlimited, enable lending, etc.
– PRO #2: The service is free.
– PRO #3: Excellent help desk support, quick email response
– PRO #4: Instructional video for first time self publishers
– PRO #5: You have two attractive options for earning royalties, 35% vs 70%. In 2018, Amazon added 50% for non-fiction books if publishers meet certain criteria. For more information about that, please click here
– CON #1: If you’re inexperienced with book cover file sizes, it may be a bit of a struggle to get the exactly right size, but nowadays there are many online platforms where you can adjust it. Another solution is finding book cover designers online. If you specify the exact size the book cover should be, they will do it for you at an affordable price. I found book cover designers on Fiver and Smashwords.
So, the one con I mentioned is not such a great con, since there are easy solutions. I paid a little under $20 for the following book cover. I contacted the designer for the below cover on Smashwords.
Who is Amazon KDP For?
This platform is for writers who want to self publish their books. If you want to be in control of royalties, the publishing process, etc, then Amazon KDP is a good place to self publish your work.
Amazon Tools and Support
The platform offers all the tools you need for publishing, and it makes it easy and self-explanatory. It is a step-by-step process, and you need to complete each step first before continuing to the next one. That means that you cannot skip a step and go to the second page to upload your manuscript if you don’t complete the first page that asks you for author name, title, if it’s part of a series, synopsis, etc.
Once your book is published, you will get a confirmation email. It usually takes up to 72 hours before the book goes live.
If you forgot something or you made a mistake (for example, you set the wrong price or you have to correct an error in your manuscript) you can go back to your Amazon KDP account and apply the changes directly. If you have to correct something in your book (a typo, spelling, grammar, etc), then make the corrections, and after that you upload your updated manuscript.
Amazon KDP offers troubleshooting topics in the left side bar, and in case you cannot solve an issue you can always contact the KDP support team. In my experience, their response has always been prompt, the agents are friendly, and they have always provided a solution.
My Final Opinion of Amazon KDP
When I started using this platform to self publish my book, I was surprised how easy it was. At first, I felt a bit overwhelmed; self publishing for the first time can be a little daunting, because there is much work involved. Once I got started though, I enjoyed the swift and simple process. You don’t need to be an internet expert or some kind of techie to do this. The way it is set up makes it accessible for everyone.
If you’re serious about self publishing a book, then I definitely recommend Amazon KDP. If you’d like to learn more about this or you would like more information before taking the self publishing route, the following book gives you clear guidelines how to go about it.
If you have any more doubts or questions, please let me know in the comments.